Audio Unit // Animated Movie (Group)

Jess and I looked at movie and tv show scenes we could use for a voice over. It was strangely difficult to find things that lasted two minutes with 2 girls talking to each other, so we decided to put together the scenes with Mother Gothel and Rapunzel in it from Tangled. (I am playing Gothel. She is meant to be Rapunzels mother so I need to make her seem older. She is also really rude and sarcastic towards her daughter. She has moments which are really condescending, which I can do by using a high voice, which also sounds annoying, but this is good for her character.) This is different from the things we have done because we want to use an accent. This is because it will show off our range more. First, we printed out the script for the scenes we wanted to do. (We chose the scenes by watching the film, and picking out the scenes we liked.) We then did a read through first initially to make sure it hit the time we needed. After this, we looked at the script more to get familiar with the lines. It comes across really obvious if an actor has only looked at something a few times, so we need to be really comfortable with it. There are moments where we have to interrupt each other, and on the page it's hard to show this, so we need to remember this. I also made notes on how I wanted to say certain lines. For example, there is a part where Gothel goes to say 'Mother knows best', but Rapunzel interrupts her by saying 'no', so Gothel says 'No? Oh.' I want to say 'Oh' really deep and offended, as if she has just realised Rapunzel will not listen to her. There is also a part where Gothel shouts. To do this, I need to make sure not to stand too close to the mic.



This is the link to the recording.
When recording this, Jess and I faced some difficulties. We had previously talked about using American accents, but scrapped it because we are not very confident with them. I chose to use a more pronounced English (which I don't think I did fabulously well, as I wouldn't say accents are one of my strong suits, and I need to work on them), with Jess doing more of her natural accent. We did this because we wanted to show contrast, and show that I was the older one. There are parts where I move away from the mic to say lines where Gothel is outside of the castle. This is to give the illusion I am father away.



If we did it again, it would be nice to have some kind of background music to fit the mood. Also, we talked about putting our voices onto the video, but that brings up a lot of problems. We would have to use the exact same pacing and timing as the original actors to fit the video, which doesn't really give us a lot of creative control. In the industry, the actors record their voices then the animators make the characters say those things. Without this, it would look strange, which is why we didn't end up doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment